I'm totally behind in my Splendid Sampler blocks. This week marks the 50th block, halfway through. I've made 15.
Maybe you are in the same boat. You got really excited at the beginning and stayed on top of things. I did. Then I got bogged down by a couple of things. Life, just that motherhood/work/getting out of the house thing. Deadlines, just articles and patterns and trips out of the country. Then there was the embroidery. Oh, the embroidery.
For you it might be the paper piecing blocks, the few hexies, the applique or whatever. For many of us there may be one type of block or another that intimidates or frustrates. And it is pretty easy to lose steam when faced when one of those blocks.
I'm here to tell you that it is okay. Totally okay. The Splendid Sampler is supposed to be about fun. No one, absolutely no one is saying you need to make each and every block. Nor that you have to make them all within 48 hours of the pattern being released. Make the blocks you like when you like. Period.
If you, however, want to make all the blocks and find yourself feeling overwhelmed or totally behind here are a couple of tips to get back/stay on track.
- Cut your fabric in sets of 5 or 10 blocks. That way they are always ready when you find yourselves with a moment to sew. Also, it means you can work on the type of block you are in the mood for rather than a specific one you feel you HAVE to do.
- Swap techniques with a friend. If you have a friend who loves embroidery (anyone?!) but you love paper piecing do a little trade. Make hers and she finishes yours!
- Let it go. Fall in love with the blocks that speak to you and don't worry about the rest. Make multiples and run with it.
- Do what my husband always stresses to the kids (and me) when faced with something seemingly scary or extra challenging: calm down. We can do almost anything when we face it calmly.
- Put the blocks you have together in a setting. See what they look like. If they seem pretty awesome to you as a pillow or a baby blanket then so be it.
- Be inspired by Alyssa Thomas on Periscope. She posts every night with her blocks. And note, they can take her more than one night!
Our goal with The Splendid Sampler is for you to have fun, first and foremost. After that, the designers have included blocks that get them excited. That's why there is such a range of techniques and styles. We designed blocks that make us happy and hopefully shared that fun. So don't stress and try to have fun.
To celebrate this milestone a number of The Splendid Sampler designers are hosting a fun blog hop over the next few days. Make sure to check out the special milestone block and visit the blogs as there are a number of giveaways across the board. Including here.
I've got two patterns to share. Both may be techniques that you aren't necessarily familiar with - making slabs and improv piecing - or you are well versed. Either way, they are fun patterns! Enter your name in the comments below with the number of The Splendid Sampler blocks you've made so far. No shame here! The giveaway will be open until August 9th, midnight MST. The giveaway is now closed.